My resume is currently being edited. Please excuse any bugs currently. Thanks!
living in Cape Town. I’ve been working as a designer online and offline since 1998.
Click to download my One Page Resume
Visit my business site 2Beards.co
I Design, Code, Consult, Strategize & Teach. My initial studies were in the field of Graphic Design. I later ventured into the world of web/digital design, development and strategy. I’m comfortable working in a wide range of media & Unlike some designers, I can actually draw with a pencil on paper! Really!
I’ve run a small virtual communications consultancy called The-Colab which specialises in ethically friendly communications since 2008. The-Colab has recently merged with a company called Design Fundi to form 2beards.co. We Primarily focus on digital/web solutions including design, development & maintenance but also delve into Brand Development and Strategy when the need arises.
I ventured into working independently in 2007 as a Freelancer under the pseudonym nomad-one, my digital nickname.
As an artist/designer who is always thinking deeply about finding and implementing creative solutions to societal problems, I strive to employ design thinking(an innovation methodology) to develop positive solutions to change business & society for the better.
I value working as an independent which gives me the flexibility to carefully select the clients I work with based on my ethical profile. I am always on the look out for forward thinking companies adding value to society where I can add to the experience I currently have and can add meaningful value.
- User Experience (UX)
- Graphic Design (Cross media)]
- Conceptual Development & Ideation
- Web/UI Design
- Logo/CI Design
- HTML & CSS (LESS)
- WordPress PHP
- General Digital & Web Know How
- WordPress Theme and Site Development & Training
- Teaching & Lecturing on Design Theory & Web Development
- (User Experience) UX Design
- Web Strategy & Digital Marketing
- Brand Strategy & Development
- Lean Startup
- Design Thinking (Innovation Methodology)
- Learning Development
- Well Spoken, Public Speaker
- Interpersonal Skills
- Proven Self Learning
- Ethically Focused
Includes but not limited to Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, Indesign, Flash, Keynote/Powerpoint, Balsamiq (wireframing), MS Office, Clarify (screen guides), Screenflow (screencasts), MAMP (local web server),PHP My Admin, FTP, Github, Plain Text Coding, Adobe Acrobat (Interactive PDFs)
Education & Training:
- Graphic Design National Diploma 1998 – 3 Year Diploma
- Ogilvy Africa 360 Degree Brand Training 2001 – 1 Week Intensive Full Time
- VeloCITI Business Incubation Training 2008 – 8 Months Program
- HTML & WordPress Theme Development – Self Taught since 2006
- Strategic Communications Consultant The-Colab.com (Present) - Period: 2008 – Present www.the-colab.com The Colab, currently registered as Colab Communications is an Ethically Focused Communications Agency which helps you develop people friendly communications strategies. Using Design, On and Offline Media, and a collaborative approach, I help bring people and companies closer together. I want to help create healthy web brands and a positive […]
- WordPress Web Designer & Developer - Period: 2010 – Present Since November 2010 a large portion of my work has been devoted to a US based web marketing company Gotcha Local Marketing. I’ve been responsible for Designing, Developing & Consulting on various web based projects on a monthly basis. Responsibilities: Design, Web Development, WordPress Theme Development & Maintenance, Web Strategy, A/B […]
- Freelance Web Design & Development Lecturer - Period: 2008 – 2011 Teaching part time classes on screen design theory, HTML & CSS & WordPress Theme Development. I developed the WordPress Theme Development curriculum as well as a Screen Design Theory Curriculum for some of the courses covered. I’ve also serviced various clients on behalf of Friends of Design including the Auditor General’s […]
- VeloCITI Business Development Course - Period: April 2008 – October 2008 VeloCITI (Business Incubation Programme – CITI.org.za) Location: South Africa , Buitengracht Street Cape Town Detail: Accepted onto a government sponsored business development programme called VeloCITI which takes 15 startup tech companies through the steps in getting our businesses off the ground from scratch. I wrote about my experiences attending the course on […]
- Independent Designer & Web Developer - Period: September 2007 – July 2008 Nomad-one.com Freelance Designer & Developer Design & development of websites, Print based Design & Illustration, Advertising, Branding, website maintenance, CSS & html coding, WordPress Blogs, Online Social Networking, Web & Design Consulting Client Testimonials: http://www.nomad-one.com/testimonials/ With this Role I prepared myself for starting my own business. I also spent about […]
- Associate Creative Director at Intermark-corp - Period: October 2006 – May 2007 Associate Creative Director responsible for Conceptual & Strategic Development. Art Direction. Brand Development. Copywriting, Script Writing, Graphic Design & Art Direction.
- New Media Designer at Ogilvy Interactive (London) - Period: November 2004 – March 2005 This was a contract position while on travels to London where I was responsible for maintenance on brands like BT, IBM, Tassimo, Cisco & Sunsilk (websites, banners, emails)
- New Media Designer at TBWA Digerati Cape Town - Period: 2002 – 2004 (2 years) Outline: The position at TBWA was one of my most rewarding and exposed me to some of the biggest brands I have worked with. I was hired at the designer for the newly formed digital division within TBWA Cape Town. I was the sole New Media Design for the […]
- New Media Designer at Ogilvy Interactive Cape Town - May 2000 – June 2001 Responsibilities: Digital Design, Interface/Functional Design, Digital Branding Conceptualization, Illustration, Animation, Creative Interactive Strategy, Digital Art Direction. Outline: Having spent some time working with Ogilvy Interactive from iafrica.com side, I made the move from client to agency and ended up working on the ifrica.com account on the agency side including a […]
- Junior Web Designer at iafrica.com - Period 07/1999 – 05/2000 I joined iAfrica.com with no web design experience having previously worked only in print design. I gained on the job learning and experience in working with web pages and graphics and learnt about the differences between digital branding and offline branding. The position at iAfrica.com exposed me to Ogilvy via their […]
Just a sample of the many testimonials I have gathered from clients, employers & colleagues
- Matt Prados – CEO at Gotcha Local - Nur has been a great asset to have on our team. His knowledge of wordpress, genesis, website speed, graphic design combined with his ability to develop and customize ideas
- Irina Papuc – Founder Wikidwell.com - Nur is one of those rare individuals who not only has a strong perfectionist streak and determination to see a project to its success, but also cares deeply about the ethical implications
- Eva Csernyanszky – Founder, Owner, Director Friends of Design - Nur has worked with my digital design training academy (Friends of Design) for a number of years. It was always a pleasure working with him as a freelance trainer, on a personable and technical level.
- Andrew Walton – Director/ Owner, Escape 4 Africa Travel - “Nur provided great work on one of our websites. He is expert knowledge on wordpress is second to none. Most importantly the project was completed on time and within budget. I would recommend him.” – October 22, 2012, Andrew was Nur Ahmad’s client Recommendation from Andrew Walton via Linkedin for work on www.findasafari.com
- Brett Simpson – Breadbin Interactive - I have been associated with Nur for a number of years and have utilized his services with fantastic results. He is comprehensive with his briefing protocol, on time with delivery and above all, has the highest integrity of any service provider, I have experienced. I would without hesitation, having done so many times before, recommend […]
- Rafiq Phillips – Marketing Technologist at MIH Internet Africa - I contacted Nur after 4pm on a Friday afternoon needing emergency design changes/updates to my site. Before midnight on the same day the changes were live and the resulting increased revenue that can be directly linked to his work means the investment in Nur’s services will result in a more profitable online business almost immediately. […]
- Fred Roed – CEO of World Wide Creative - Nur has impressed me with his courtesy, professionalism and insight within his suite of services. I recommend him highly! January 23, 2012 Fred was with another company when working with Nur Ahmad at The Colab
- Marek Jan S. – Managing Partner at Mybizdesign Integrated Marketing - Nur Ahmad is an excellent tutor in his field. He provides very detailed but never boring tutorials and classes in web development, wordpress administration as well as design and development of custom themes. His approach is always fresh and the feeling in the class is that everyone looks forward to the next class and they […]
- Natalie Huth – HTML, CSS & WordPress Student - I have just completed a WordPress Web Design course given by Nur. As a beginner I was very hesitant to take up the challenge and register for this course. But Nur was very positive and so I took the challenge. And how happy I am that I did it. Nur is an excellent teacher and was able to get down to my […]
- Monica Somolekae – IT Manager, Auditor General Botswana - Nur Ahmed is a great designer who is very creative. He has excellent interpersonal skills and very proficient in WordPress. He was able to translate our organisation’s needs into an interactive, professional and engaging website. February 14, 2012, Monica was Nur Ahmad’s client This testimonial is in relation to work completed for Office of the […]
- Ramon Thomas – Internet Privacy Advocate - Nur is an ethically motivated entrepreneur and his interest in sound principles of co-operation and collaboration. He is a keen supporter of Mutual-Aid between African Bloggers. And I am working closer and closer with Nur, especially on moving my www.internetcafedirectory.co.za from a Joomla site to a WordPress based platform. September 30, 2008, Ramon was with […]
- Troy Gerber – Director and Senior Architect SharePoint - Is a team Player, astute worker with a high regard for detail and professionalism. It was a pleasure working with him and I would gladly work with him again.. September 26, 2008 Troy managed Nur Ahmad indirectly at The Colab
More on my Linkedin Profile